If u break out in cold sweat or even feel butterflies when u think about standing in public , u are not alone !! Fear of public speaking is estimated to affect 75% of adults.
In the past 5 years of experience as a speaker , I've found 5 tools. But even before these u can shed off all your nervousness “ just close your eyes and remember your parents!!” believe me you r going to fill up with amazing confidence.
Coming to next phase when on the stage:
- Practice, Practice and Practice! : Always be prepared beforehand ! You can not take 0.1% chance.
- Be prepared if you make a mistake: no matter how professional someone is everyone makes mistakes. But when we become uncomfortable with slip-ups and gaffes then the audience becomes uncomfortable as well. But try mocking at yourself which can put everyone at ease.
- Be expressive : there are times that no matter what you tell yourself to calm your concerns , it just doesn't works. Playing up my emotions by really getting into excitement of my story or working to honestly feel the disappointment I had experienced , I was able to mask the jitters. Better to hide the emotion with another.
- Focus on people who are nodding: you can often find a few people who nodding along with your story or points. This is the real sense when someone is agreeing to you . And the more you focus on these people , the more confident you sound.
- Get the audience laughing: there is something about looking out in the audience and seeing smiling faces that helps create the bond. Laugh at yourself is incredibly self depreciating and if you get others to join in then it creates a level of trust.
EXTRA TIP: “Confidence comes from within and no one can create it for u. You won't build it if you don't take action . Know that making yourself uncomfortable a couple of times will help you feel comfortable in the same situation forever after.