Typhoid fever in other words called enteric fever is a severe ill health associated with symptoms of stomach pains, acute headache, or loss of appetite and is caused by a gram-negative bacterial infection primarily called salmonella enteric which other terms referred to as salmonella typhi bacteria or salmonella paratyphi.
This deadly bacterial disease can survive for several weeks in water or even in dried liquid waste. Enteric fever can easily be contracted through infected food or water.
When carriers of these bacteria contaminate the surroundings through their waste products, it will definitely affect the water and food within the environment and when ingested, the bacteria will now penetrate to the blood stream through the small intestine thereby making the new carrier to display symptoms of headaches, pains, loss of appetites, lethargy, and diarrhoea (in some cases).
Typhoid fever can be wiped from the system with the use of certain antibiotic drugs which can be gotten from Nigerian general hospitals, private hospitals, small clinic, and pharmacy stores but a diagnosis is very necessary to ensure that the resulting bacteria is Salmonella enteric before proceeding to treatment.
But instead of getting contracted with this microorganisms and seek for ways of treatment it is much better to apply the preventive measures which are real and ideal. Prevention of this germ could be medically or complete natural healthy ways:
Medically, typhoid fever could be prevented through proper vaccination (immunization) this will go a long way to protect you from being infected with these microbes that causes typhoid but children below 2 years, and the ones with weak immune system, cancer patients including HIV/AIDS carriers should seek advice from their medical doctor before taking vaccines because it's not every person that can get vaccinated.
Vaccines can stimulate the immune systems and make it strong to resist this pathogenic infection but in order to make the prevention complete, you have to back it up with the following personal hygiene which includes:
- Be mindful of what you eat and drink; this means that you are required to be drinking clean water from neat drinking water source not just from any source because water is a major way of getting this pathogen in your body system.
- Food preparation should also be done in a neat environment where flies from the toilet, gutters and waste disposal areas could not mistakenly fly in and perch on your food because once it happens, the food is already contaminated; so avoid it. The food should always be covered properly too.
- Always wash your hands with sanitizers or simply soap and water anywhere immediately after using the toilet before your hands gets in contact with your mouth or any food substance.
- Do not eat peeled fruits on the street or the market because there is every tendency for them to have been exposed to bacteria that caused typhoid. The fruits should be peeled by you but before that should be washed properly in clean water with a little quantity of salt added to it.
- Vegetables should also be washed with clean water with a little quantity of salt before eating or using them in food preparation.
In general good hygiene practices with vaccination can totally prevent typhoid fever, possibly treat your drinking water using good water quality control measures or simply boil the water if the source is not trusted and be extremely careful with any substance that enters the mouth.