Nsala soup also known as white soup is tasty, fast and easy soup recipe that has it's origins in the riverine areas of Nigeria, Nsala soup is perfect for a cold rainy day due to its spicy taste. Because it is so easy to prepare, you can count on it to save the day when you run out on soup on a few days before the big soup day.
* catfish: for one-inch thick spice.
* fresh or dry utazi leaves(gongronema latifolium).
* Thickner: raw white yam or yam powder.
* Habanero peppers, salt, crayfish, and seasoning(maggi, ogiri, okpei(Nigerian traditional seasoning).
Directions for preparation;
1. Cut the catfish into 1inch thick cylindrical discs and remove the intestine and put in a clean bowl.
2. Boil a few cubes of white yam, when soft pound with mortar till a smooth paste is formed, you can substitute white yam with yam powder.
3. Wash and pound/blend utazi leaves, the chilli pepper and cray fish and set aside.
1. Place the cat fish in a pot and pour enough water to cover the fish. Add seasoning and cook till done. Feel free to add beef and dry fish to the soup recipe.
2. When the catfish is almost done, add the cray fish, pepper, and utazi leaves blend. Also add the yam paste in small lumps and salt to taste.
4. Cover the pot and allow the contents to cook at high heat till all the yam paste has dissolved. While cooking, if you think that the yam paste will make the soup too thick, you can remove some that are yet to be dissolved. Let it boil for some time.
The Nigerian Nsala soup is ready to be served wit eba, semolina, amala, and pounded yam etc. Enjoy it.
Requires LoginThis Post has reached maximium comment limit