Shawarma is popular in African countries like Nigeria,south Africa and Ghana. The African version adds some flare to the traditional middle eastern Shawarma. It is created using easy recipe to get a sweet savory and tangy spices which all comes together to create an highly seasoned marinated slice of meat
Today it about the chicken Shawarma,, here's an easy recipe you surely love enjoy!!
FOR THE SHAWARMA MARINADE:
- 2 lb Chicken Thigh boneless
- 1 Onion large Red
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Tsp Ginger Minced
- 2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Turmeric or curry powder
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp bouillon cube optional
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or any cooking oil of your choice
- 1 Tsp Salt or to taste
FOR THE SHAWARMA SAUCE:
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- Cayenne pepper optional- A hint of
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 Tomato ripe and hard
- 1 Onion small red & sliced into strips
- 1/4 lb Cucumber sliced into strips
- 4 to 6 Lettuce leaves
- 4 to 6 Tortilla Wraps large
- Marinite the chicken- wash and pat dry the chicken
- Add all spices to the chicken and miss well
- Cover with the plastic wrap or a fight lid and leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes
- Grill the Shawarma-lay the chicken pieces on a parchment lined baking pan, transfer to a 425f and bake for 25 to 30 minutes
- Check to make sure it cooked through and char it for about 1 to 2 minutes just make to sure it darker(if you chose)
- Prepare the Shawarma sauce-- mix the ketchup, mayonnaise and cayenne pepper together and set aside.
- Serve the Shawarma --wash and slice all the vegetables.
- Spread a thin layer of the mayonnaise and ketchup mixture on the tortilla wrap.
- Layer the vegetable and Shawarma chicken on the wrap, drizzle a little more sauce on it and roll it up
- Optional -- place the rolled wrap on a heavy botton skillet or a grill and brown the wrap enjoy!!!