Bitter leaf, (biological name Vernonia Amydalina), is a very homely plant. Whenever it grows , it flourishes, an evergreen. The Igbo's call it Onugbu. The Yoruba's call it Ewuro. The Hausa's call it Shivaka. Perhaps the most distinctive part of bitter leaf plant is it's bitterness. The fact is that bitter herbs are good for the body. Let's talk about some uses of bitter- leaf.
1. STOMACH ACHE: Chew the tender stem of the plant like a chewing stick and swallow the bitterness. This is a well known remedy for stomach ache.
2. SKIN INFECTION: For skin Infections such as Ring worm, Itching, Rashes and eczema, the pure undiluted extract of bitter leaf is excellent. Simply apply to the affected area daily.
3. DIABETES: Diabetics should listen carefully to this good news. They do not need to despair or lose hope. Bitter leaf not only reduces sugar level drastically, it also helps to repair pancreas. Squeeze the juice from ten hands full of fresh leaves in ten litres of water and take two glasses three times daily for one month.
4. LOSS OF MEMORY: This can be a symptom of diabetes, or a sickness on its own. Whatever it's nature may be, bitter leaf is good for this ailment. Take one glass three times daily for at least two months.
5. GENERAL WEAKNESS: Do you often feel weak and tired ? Squeeze the leaves in the water and take a glass three times daily. Once you follow the instructions, you will experience a new release of energy.